Sunday, June 1, 2014

Facebook vs Google+

Facebook vs. Google+: Your Best Arguments

Google+ Does Everything

Google+ is Facebook, Twitter, Messenger, interest forums, e-mail, and skype combined but better on almost all fronts.

Skype - G+ provides free 8 person video chats. It provides easy to set up registration or public Webinars for the business minded out there. I cannot undersell the value of this for people.

E-Mail - G+ has completely replaced e-mail for personal interactions (with people on G+). Its lower effort so more communication happens, and its filtered very well so no spam e-mail. An example. I used to talk to my best friend in a different State once a week by phone and a few emails a week (maybe). Now its 3-5 private communications a day without feeling tied to an IM. Facebook doesn't provide that intimacy and e-mail is a higher burden. G+ is ... "Hey Hussain might find this interesting too." Facebook is "Hey all of my friends need o know this" E-Mail is "I'll try to remember to bring this up with Hussain next time we e-mail."

Interest Forums - G+ communities is what gawker is now doing with the blog thing. It is better than most interest forums because it is more well known and aggregated on a single platform. It is not as good as Kinja however. Kinja is better at article/comment. G+ communities are post/discussions.

Messenger - With Hangouts integration is basically AOL IM + SMS. It is the best messenger service out there, but this is not a huge selling point because ... IM ... who cares.

Twitter - I think it falls short of twitter because twitter is SO dependent on the number of users and its drop dead simple. BUT ... anything I get in twitter, I get with more context in G+ and I get it almost as fast as on twitter. Twitter will give me more everything, G+ more of what I want. For me that's science news, which twitter sucks at.

Facebook - G+ is much easier to keep topics of interests with friends that are interested through circles. Facebook's copy is clunky and hard to set-up by comparison. It also let's me meet new people of similar interest MUCH MUCH more easily than facebook. I actually make new friends on G+. Facebook is a phone book for people I already know. I'm an adult ... if I need a network service, I use LinkedIn.

Which brings me to my conclusion. G+ has the potential to replace almost all of these platforms while gaining some functionality and losing very little in the process. Google Wave was great but it failed because it made e-mail harder, G+ makes it easier. The only service that is not replaceable by G+ is LinkedIn and that's only because people LIKE separating work and home.P

If you like to consolidate your services, Google+ may be for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment